The /root cause, media effects, perfect timing and result at long last... 
In the Zubuntu 1.0-RC1 release I included Audacious as a lightweight media player. Worked as a charm, at least for me. Now, working on the Zubuntu 2.0-RC1 release, I tried the Audacious v1.5.1 player from the Ubuntu Jaunty repository. No luck, the player wouldn't even start, it just segfaulted.

Googling here and there I found Eina, downloaded the source and compiled the player natively. Eina indeed is a nice, simple but complete media player, using Gtk+-2.0 only and GStreamer for media playback it fitted the lightweight profile. But after playing back some random MP3 files it came apparent that it couldn't play the tracks without hickups on my Zaurus. Whatever the root cause of the hickups was I still don't know, but the effect was that I once more Googled for Audacious and the cause of it segfaulting on startup.

To my surprise, the author of Audacious has just released a brand new version (v2.0.1) a couple of days back. Perfect timing, so I downloaded the source and started to compile it once again natively. The building started about 5 hours ago now, and it is still building the list of plugins. I had to restart the build once because of an error in the SID plugin, so I disabled that one. Maybe next time I need to check first whether cross-compilation is a better option. I wouldn't dare to stop it now!

To be continued, hopefully the result will be worthwhile...

Update: Not bad at all. Building finally finished, and the player works. Guess what. I think this will be the media player for the next oncoming Zubuntu release
:-)

Update: I'm glad to say this was really worth the effort. The new Audacious 2.0.1 player plays the tracks I've thrown at it without any interruptions. Bitrates varied up to 256Kb/s. And it's even light enough to do other stuff as well without any problems. Superb!

[ 10 comments ] ( 468 views )   |  permalink  |   ( 3 / 1698 )

<<First <Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next> Last>>