Android m5-rc14 internals 

Yesterday I took some time to set up all the tools needed to see whether or not the latest emulator image could be ported to the Zaurus easily.

First I investigated the emulator a bit using the adb-debugger. An important change can be seen when running mount
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/pts /dev/pts devpts rw 0 0
/proc /proc proc rw 0 0
/sys /sys sysfs rw 0 0
/tmp /tmp tmpfs rw 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock0 /system yaffs2 rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock1 /data yaffs2 rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime 0 0
/dev/block/mtdblock2 /cache yaffs2 rw,nodev,noatime,nodiratime 0 0

/tmp and /cache are added since the previous version, so we have to add them to the Zaurus image as well.

Next thing I did was to rip the emulator file system. This can be done easily by pushing the binutils package to the emulator and archiving the /system, /data and /cache directories using the adb shell command.

Having that, I downloaded the Linux 2.6.23 Android M5-RC14 kernel and created a diff file against a vanilla 2.6.23 kernel to see the specific Android changes.

Since kernel debugging isn't exactly one of my favorite hobbies, I then created a complete Zaurus (Spitz) image with the kernel used in the previous Android release, just to see what it did. Well, this ends up with a black screen, no bouncing red ball, nothing.

Setting the logging level to 7 or 8 shows lots and lots of errors, mostly related to the binder block device. I guess that's were most changes took place.

I am now in the process of applying the kernel changes. This is rather time consuming, so this could take a while longer. Unfortunately I don't have that much spare time currently. I know AndroidZaurus is also working on this, so maybe we could make this a joined effort .


[ add comment ] ( 2 views )   |  permalink  |   ( 3 / 1103 )

<<First <Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Next> Last>>