So, to make a long story even longer, I decided later that week that I wanted an iPhone, so I went over to the Apple store again and bought myself one. Since I knew that the phone would be usable only with a two-year (US) contract with AT&T I did some investigation first just to make sure it would be possible to use it here in the Netherlands using my current carrier provider contract.
Browsing the Net I entered the great new world of OOB's (Out Of the Box), Jailbraking, Firmware downgrading, activation, unlocking and the likes. Impressive, I didn't had the time to read all the details at that time, but I knew enough, namely that it would be possible with some effort.
After buying and unpacking the device a few things were striking. Apple really knows how to create beautiful looking devices, but I've NEVER seen any device with so little instructions. Just a small paper saying you have to browse to a website for full instructions. After charging, the device just says "Connect to iTunes to activate". That's all, no further functioning whatsoever. This is weird!
Well, back in Holland I started to read all about unlocking the device. I was glad I did that first, because otherwise I would probably already upgraded the device to the last firmware, which would have made unlocking a real drag. Anyway, after following the excellent step by step guide from the hackint0sh guys the iPhone was usable as a luxurious iTouch after some time. No phone function, that was still a no-go area, since this hasn't been hacked by means of software until now as far as I know.
So I searched for hardware solutions, found a seller on eBay selling some Chinese SIM manipulation card, and took the risk of buying one. Two days later the SIM arrived, and following a simple online guide here my iPhone displays Vodafone as a provider now, and I'm the happy owner of a fully working iPhone. Not bad at all, and that within just a week time!
[ 3 comments ] ( 54 views ) | permalink | ( 3 / 1815 )